Wednesday May, 24th.
Omaha Gives! is an effort to raise awareness about local nonprofits and celebrate the work that they accomplish to improve our communities. More than 800 local nonprofits will be working to raise money together while competing for the opportunity to earn participation prizes. Learn more by visiting OmahaGives.org and please be sure to begin donating to the Friends of the Library by clicking on the logo above between now and May 24th. Each hour on the 24th, two donations will be randomly selected to receive an additional $535 added to it.
On May 24th:
- Throughout the morning and early afternoon the Bennington Public Library will be holding a series of events in recognition of Omaha Gives starting with preschool story time at 10:30 AM with a day at the beach theme!
- Grab your sunblock and flip flops and head on down to get a good spot on one of our towels laid out as we have guest readers, sing songs, and color.
- After school gets out, elementary aged children from 3:30 to 4:30 PM will be creating miniature art, tic tac toe, and Lego themed summer travel kits!
- Once the library has closed, from 6:30 to 7:15 PM we will be hosting a stuffed animal sleepover. Bring your favorite stuffed friend, come read a story together, and say goodnight to your stuffed animal while it stays overnight and gets into some mischief!
- The following morning children may pick up their stuffed animals beginning at 7:30 AM.
Friends of the Bennington Library is proud to host
Historical Romance Author Janet Syas Nitsick
Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017
Bennington Public Library- Community Room
Janet Syas Nitsick is the author of numerous Christian romance novels. She will discuss her latest book, “The Bride List,” in costume.
Janet is a former journalist, language arts teacher, and has four sons (two with autism) and six grandchildren. She loves politics which is a natural for her since her late father was a Nebraska state senator for 26 years.
This event is free and open to the public.
We have just added the resource Jobs for Teens to our webpage! A great source for teenagers to find that first job or perhaps a second source of income. Just click on the Resources and Links tab on our site and then follow the prompt to click on the logo. Peruse job opportunities at businesses such as Yankee Candle, CVS, Bonefish Grill, Firehouse Subs, and more.
Friends of the Bennington Library in conjunction with Humanities Nebraska is proud to present
Author and Speaker Charlotte Endorf
Nebraska Spirit: The North Platte Canteen
Tuesday, April 25th, 2017
Bennington Public Library- Community Room
15505 Warehouse Street; 402-238-2201
During World War II, American soldiers from across the country rolled through North Platte, Nebraska, on troop trains en route to Europe and the Pacific. Learn the story of the community that turned a railroad depot into a legend and touched the lives of more than six million soldiers from 1942 to 1946. Charlotte salutes our humble Veterans who served in the military. This presentation is free and open to the public.
The program is sponsored by Humanities Nebraska and Friends of the Bennington Library through the HN Speakers Bureau. Speakers Bureau connects non-profit and educational organizations with nearly three hundred humanities programs offered by authors, historians, and scholars. More information about the Speakers Bureau can be found online at http://www.humanitiesnebraska.org.
Second & Fourth Saturdays
Join Bennington Public Library’s Social Knitworkng group every 2nd and 4th Saturdays from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM in the Library-Community Room. Bring a knit/crochet/craft project you are working on or would like to start. Or come willing to learn or teach a new skill.
Take some time for socializing and creativity.
No need to reserve a spot, but if you would like more information, call 402-238-2201.
“Knitters are knitting to value-add to the world” – Stephanie Pearl-McPheeSoc
Join Us for LEGO @ Your Library
The First Saturday of the month and the Third Thursday
First Saturday 10:00 – 11:00 AM
Third Thursday 3:30 – 4:30 PM
Come build with us! We have thousands of bricks and mini figures, too!
All children and their families are welcome. Children 5 and younger should be accompanied by an adult.