Friends of the Bennington Library in conjunction with Humanities Nebraska is proud to present
Author and Speaker Charlotte Endorf
Nebraska Spirit: The North Platte Canteen
Tuesday, April 25th, 2017
Bennington Public Library- Community Room
15505 Warehouse Street; 402-238-2201
During World War II, American soldiers from across the country rolled through North Platte, Nebraska, on troop trains en route to Europe and the Pacific. Learn the story of the community that turned a railroad depot into a legend and touched the lives of more than six million soldiers from 1942 to 1946. Charlotte salutes our humble Veterans who served in the military. This presentation is free and open to the public.
The program is sponsored by Humanities Nebraska and Friends of the Bennington Library through the HN Speakers Bureau. Speakers Bureau connects non-profit and educational organizations with nearly three hundred humanities programs offered by authors, historians, and scholars. More information about the Speakers Bureau can be found online at http://www.humanitiesnebraska.org.
Mondays & Thursdays at 10:30 AM
- Introduce young children to books and reading at our morning story time, held twice weekly throughout the year.
- Each week, stories, songs, and movement activities are adapted to match the ages and attention spans of the children attending.
- Parents learn how to foster early literacy skills to prepare their children for learning to read.
- Library staff will answer questions about books and library services, and teach parents how to interest their children in books.
- An adult must remain with children.
- Space is limited.
- Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
EVENING BOOK CLUB
Every Third Tuesday of the month at 6:30 PM
- The Evening Book Club meets at various restaurants in Bennington.
- Dates & times are subject to change and/or the wishes of the participants.
- Please call the library or check the web site to confirm the date, location & time.
April 18, 2017 – Code Name Verity By: Elizabeth Wein
@ The Warehouse (15835 CW Hadan Drive)
May 16, 2017 – Blessings By: Anna Quindlen
@ Runza (15757 CW Hadan Drive)
June 20, 2017 – The Apprentice By: Tess Geritsen
@ Subway (15825 CW Hadan Drive)
WEDNESDAY MORNING BOOK CLUB
Every First Wednesday of the month at 10:00 AM
@ Bennington Library Community Meeting Room
March 1, 2017 – The Goldfinch By: Donna Tartt
April 5, 2017 – Tenth Circle By: Jodi Picoult
May 3, 2017 – A Dog Year, Twelve Months, Four Dogs and Me By: Jon Katz
June 7, 2017 – The Weird Sisters By: Eleanor Brown
July 5, 2017 – The Girl on the Train By: Paula Hawkins
August 2, 2017 – Cuckoo’s Calling By: Robert Galbraith
September 6, 2017 – The Light Between Oceans By: M. L. Stedman
October 4, 2017 – The Forgotten Garden By: Kate Morton
November 1, 2017 – Landline By: Rainbow Rowell
FREE WI-FI (WIRELESS INTERNET) SERVICE
- The Bennington Public Library is pleased to offer wireless Internet access thanks to support in part by the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services and granted by the Nebraska Library Commission and a donation from the Friends of the Library.
- Our wireless network is open to all and does not require any special login, password, or encryption.
- You’ll need a laptop or other portable device with a built-in WiFi or installed adapter card; otherwise we offer three desktop computers to be used at thirty minute increments depending on each case.
America’s News, including Omaha World Herald
- With unmatched U.S. news content from local, regional, and national sources, this resource is the largest of its kind.
- Its diverse source types include printed and online newspapers, blogs, journals, newswires, broadcast transcripts and videos.
- Explore a specific issue or event through the detailed coverage provided by local reporting or compare a wide variety of viewpoints from across the country on topics such as politics, business, health, sports, cultural activities and people.
- Click the sidebar icon to get started.
Bennington Public Library patrons may access this resource by using the following login: Enter 26340 plus your 6-digit library card number.
Example: Your library card number is 999999, you enter 26340999999.
- We offer use of our die cut machine and die cuts.
- Please ask a staff member for assistance.
- Die cut shapes available include:
- “My Grandpa”
- “My Grandma”
- Teddy Bear
- Wise Man
- Lady Bug
- Hand Mirror
- Koala Bear
- Tea Pot and Cups
- School House
- Maple Leaf
- Christmas Tree
- Gingerbread Man
- “Read” Bookmark
- Gift Tag
- Flip Flops
- Baby Chick
- Magnifying Glass
- 1.5″ Dot Letters A-Z
- 1.5″ Dot Combo
- Volkswagen Beetle Car
- Oval Picture Frame
- Magic Book
The Bennington Public Library loans cake pans for home use. For a list of cake pans type in “cake pan” in the search bar of our catalog.
If you make a cake using one of the library’s cake pans, we would love to share a picture of your masterpiece on our website and Facebook page. Please send your digital photo to email@example.com so it can be part of an online scrapbook. This lets other library patrons see different decorating ideas.